TENSA post tensioning and ground anchor systems have found wide-spread use, originally in initial dam design and construction and, more recently, in the strengthening and rehabilitation of concrete dams to meet modern design and safety standards.
The TENSA post tensioning and ground anchors technologies can be for a range of applications in dam engineering that include providing:
- Resistance to overturning
- Restraint against downstream sliding
- Reinforcement of excavated abutment and other slopes
- Stabilization of thrust blocks
- Additional seismic resistance
- Tying down of spillway, training wall and stilling basin structures
- Stabilization of plunge pools and other erosion features
- Raising and/or strengthening older dams that no longer meet safety or capacity requirements
The TENSA post tensioning systems are typically used for tying down of spillways when done within the concrete structure either by using live and dead anchorages or by adopting U shaped tendons.